Success Coach and Business Mentor Sarah Leather says we need to reinvent the way we do our January goals to move away from relying on being constantly motivated. Here are some suggestions from her to get you off to a flying start in January and have an amazing 2018.
1) Instead of deciding what you are going to ‘do’ in 2018, decide who you’re going to ‘be’. You need to move towards the kind of person you want to be, the vision of yourself you have in the future in line with your own personal values. This helps you to get the long-lasting change needed. There’s a big difference between starting a new diet and becoming a slim healthy person or starting a business and becoming a business owner. Focus on what kind of person you want to be rather than what you have to do to get there, that comes later.
2) If I had a magic wand (and I do!) and you could be, do or have anything you wanted this year, what would you wish for? Write out a list of everything that would be on your ‘be, do and have’ list. Then take a highlighter pen and highlight your top three. These are your goals for 2018.
3) Looking at your three goals, what needs to happen for them to become a reality? Create a list of takes and consistent behaviours that will have to occur to get what you want. Schedule these tasks into your diary and highlight milestones along the way.
4) Give yourself rewards along the way when you reach certain milestones. Many of my clients are creating their own dream business so they can leave their 9-5, job so I get them to reward themselves with some time off the laptop doing something they love. Others have huge health goals such as losing three to five stone or getting their body ready for pregnancy, so they reward themselves with fresh flowers or time to themselves.
5) Know that there will more than likely be setbacks along the way. Getting your goals isn’t so much about avoiding roadblocks but about managing them when they occur and not letting them stop you. This is where resilience is built and you become stronger (physically or emotionally) and keep going no matter what. You will absolutely succeed as long as you keep going. Also know that your success can bother some people who try to sabotage your success. Many of my clients have well-meaning friends and relations who don’t support their attempts to create a profitable business or will bake their favourite cake when they have a new health goal. This is where you need to strengthen your resilience muscle the most and not let anyone else stop you from living your life. Your dreams are important and you need to keep going.
6) Get support and accountability. We’re not meant to succeed in isolation. Get help from a buddy, friend, coach or anyone else who has your back. Find out what works for you and ask for the help you need (see advert on this page for your free Success Session).
7) Know that you can do this. Every day you wake up with the opportunity to succeed. Some things in life you can’t control (like politics and other peoples behaviour) but you are completely in control of how you think and what you create in your life. It can take some courage but you can do it. You matter.
Get yourself a new notebook and start writing out your own plan for this year. Start with taking one tiny action and be very proud of yourself.
Sarah Leather is a Success Coach and Business Mentor at TheSarahLeather.com She helps women to have their dream business, body, bank balance or baby!
‘Healthy Wealthy Mindset for Success’ Workshop help’s women to create or strengthen their inner entrepreneur. The next workshop is on Saturday, January 20 in Cork. Email her at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 0872332023 for details.