Brought to you by Bandon Co Op. Get ready for winter and visit Bandon Co Op stores in Bandon, Enniskeane and Kinsale for lots of great offers in their “One Day Fuel Sale” on October 15, 2016. For more information see www.bandoncoop.ie
Winter is coming and thoughts turn to cosy nights in front of the fireplace. There are lots of great products to help with maintaining and cleaning your stove or fire grate and keeping your fuel safe from the elements! Get the best out of your fuel and your fire by following Bandon Co Op’s handy tips below.
Burning the correct fuel and proper maintenance are key to maximising the efficiency of your fire. As always, new installations and maintenance should be carried out by recognised and registered professionals.
Tips on maximising your fire’s efficiency:
- Choose the correct fuel for your fire – ask our professionals in store for advice
- Regularly clean and maintain your open fire/stove:
- Ash should be removed before each new fire is set – Ash cleaners are fantastic for minimising mess and dust. Ash cleaners are available at Bandon Co Op priced from €69.95
- Chimneys should be swept at least once per year (more often if you use your fire very regularly or use certain types of fuel e.g. wood)
- Flueways should be cleaned once a month – check stove manual for instructions. Chimney & Flue Cleaner is available at Bandon Co Op for €9.50
- Air supply should be correct: Too little air will mean that your fire will not burn correctly. Also too little fresh air in the room could result in harmful fumes – fit a good Carbon Monoxide alarm and ensure regular maintenance of your fire/stove (prices starting from €21.95)
Storing your fuel
Bandon Co Op has a range of coalbunkers in stock – an excellent way to ensure your fuel isn’t exposed to the elements. A popular choice is Carbery coalbunkers. These plastic bunkers are designed for the storage of a wide variety of solid fuels, including briquettes, coal, peat, turf, wooden blocks and slack. They will never rust, rot or corrode and do not require painting. Carbery Coal Bunkers are available in Bandon Co Op priced at €109.95 for a six bag bunker.
Keeping your stove clean
Stoves usually come in either matt or enamel finish. Clean enamel when the stove is cold. Use only recommended products and do not use abrasive pads or oven cleaners. Wipe daily with damp cloth and polish with a clean dry duster. Use a dry cloth to remove dust or dirt from a matt finish stove. Do not use water as it will cause the stove to rust. Matt stoves can also be refreshed with paint. Ask in store for more information on cleaning products or paint for your stove.
Other useful products for your fire
- A chimney damper prevents up to 70 per cent heat loss up your chimney – saves energy and easy to install (€89.00)
- Chimney balloons are great for chimneys that are not in use, they prevent draughts and reduce heat loss and noise in your home (€29.95)