Above: Announcing Clonakility's schedule of activities for A Taste of West Cork festival September 9-18 are, kneeling from left, Cáit O Sullivan, An Sugan; Joanna Herod, Eamonn Walsh and Pavel Kowalski of Walsh’s Londis. Back, from left, Richy Virahsawmy, Richy's Restaurant; Peter Lane and Dave Scully of Scully's Butcher; Luca Boggiani, Aris; Karen Austin, Lettercollum; Marie O’Keeffe, The Emmet Hotel; Michael Ryan, Twomey's Butcher; Aileen Hart, Hart's Coffee Shop, and Kay Burke, Sticky Bun. Pic: Paddy Feen
Clonakilty has announced an enticing schedule of highlight activities for A Taste of West Cork festival, with a return of the successful Spillers’ Lane Experience Food Market and introducing a ‘Theatre of Food’. From Friday September 9, local restaurants, café’s, delicatessens and pubs around Clonakilty will offer a Taste of West Cork menu option.
The Clonakilty Theatre of Food, taking place in O’Donovan’s Hotel from 11am until 5pm on Saturday, September 10, is expected to greatly add to the festivities this year. It will feature a great line-up of chefs and experts from the area, with talks and demos from Tom Campbell: How to Make a Jam Sandwich; Con McLoughlin of Lettercollum Kitchen Project: How to eat everything you want and not get fat; food expert Susan Steele; Caitlin Ruth, Head Chef, Deasy’s Restaurant; Sally Barnes, Woodcock Smokery on hot smoking; Niamh Reilly, raw chocolate and cake wizard; and April Danaan on fermentation processes. Clonakilty Brewing Company will also host a beer tasting session. Full schedule and timings will be confirmed closer to the date.
The Spiller’s Lane Experience Food Market will take place from 12pm-4pm on Saturday, September 10, showcasing Clonakilty food companies, producers and the best of local fare to sample or buy in a buzzing atmosphere. Local musicians will accompany the foodie celebrations throughout the afternoon.
The highlight of Sunday, September 11 is Forage and Find, followed by a Foraged Food Feast with chef/forager Kevin O’Connell. The two-hour foraging expedition at Castlefreke will take participants through seashore, hedgerow and woodland foraging, with the opportunity to discover edibles like elderflower, sea lettuce, and nori. Following this, Kevin O’Connell will cook up a three-course meal at The Emmet Hotel, prepared with wild and flavourful foraged ingredients. The cost is €20 per person and booking is essential, please contact Christopher O’Sullivan on firstname.lastname@example.org or 087 9016534.
Cllr Christopher O’Sullivan, Chair of Clonakilty Chamber of Commerce, comments, “We are very much looking forward to marking A Taste of West Cork festival here in Clonakilty. This is a very different year for our town, with the completion of major road works as part of a €12 million flood relief and drainage scheme led by Cork County Council and resulting in a beautiful new streetscape. We plan to celebrate our local food culture with some fantastic events as part of this great festival in our newly enhanced surroundings.”
Programme of key events for Clonakilty:
Thursday September 8
Richy’s Restaurant will host Chef Matt Williamson for a five-course Vegetarian Tasting Menu. Formerly head chef of The Happy Pear in Co. Wicklow, Matt has combined a passion for great local and seasonal ingredients, vegetarian flare and refined culinary techniques. €50pp.
Friday September 9
Taste of West Cork menu option in local restaurants, cafés, delicatessens and pubs for the duration of the festival.
• Walsh’s Londis will have food demonstrations and tastings throughout the weekend.
Saturday September 10
• Spiller’s Lane Experience Food Market from 12pm – 4pm.
• Clonakilty Theatre of Food in O’Donovan’s Hotel from 11am until 5pm.
• Children’s Pizza Making Classes in Oak Fire Pizza.
• An Sugan’s special West Cork Seafood Platter and brown bread served with a complimentary glass of St Roch French Chardonnay. €25pp.
• The Jazzy Brunch Buffet at the Celtic Ross Hotel, Rosscarbery – a delicious buffet served with a morning cocktail, accompanied by a jazz band. 11am-1pm. €15pp.
• Taste of West Cork Tasting Menu in the Gulfstream Restaurant, Inchydoney Island Lodge & Spa, 7pm. Indulge in a delicious culinary tasting journey of West Cork, booking essential.
Sunday September 11
Forage and Find, followed by Foraged Food Feast. Meet at 2.30pm at Emmet Square, for bus to Long Strand (3pm). Allow two hours for woodland and seashore foraging at Castlefreke with Chef/Forager Kevin O’Connell, followed by foraged cook-up at The Emmet Hotel. €20pp, booking essential
• Jazz Brunch in De Barras.
Tuesday September 13
70 years of O’Neill’s at Fernhill House Hotel: Historical tour of Fernhill House and Gardens followed by a €35 four course menu with a glass of wine.
Also at the Celtic Ross Hotel, Rosscarbery:
• Thursday September 15 ¬– ‘Breton by Birth, West Cork by Love’. Chefs Alex Petit and Eric Theze cook a Breton banquet using West Cork’s finest produce.
• Wednesday September 14 – West Cork Afternoon Tea, made entirely from the wonderful produce of the region of West Cork, accompanied by music in the Tower Gallery. 3pm-5pm, €15pp.